The protection of the quality and quantity of freshwater resources is among the most important activities of environmental agencies. Activities to protect freshwater resources may include inspections of wastewater discharge facilities, inspections of community drinking water supply facilities, water quality testing and monitoring, and monitoring compliance with permit requirements.
Agencies seeking to develop and/or improve compliance with and enforcement of laws and policies to protect water quality and quantity must evaluate existing legislation; host appropriate compliance outreach activities to inform the regulated communities of applicable law; establish monitoring systems to evaluate compliance, including third party water quality testing and other auditing procedures; facilitate compliance monitoring by citizen groups; as well as other activities.
- INECE’s Capacity Building Program on Water Governance seeks to strengthen capacity for the design, development, implementation, and enforcement of domestic requirements that will result in the improvement of governance of water resources. The capacity building program presents the material through four modules: (1) Writing an Enforceable Requirement; (2) Promoting Compliance; (3) Responding to Violations; and (4) Designing Performance Indicators for Environmental Enforcement and Compliance Programs. Each module is complemented by practical exercises based around a thematically-integrated case study.
Case Studies on Water Governance
- Using Human Rights as an Enforcement Tool To Ensure the Right to Safe Drinking Water (Argentina)
- Contamination of the Twente Canal: Enschede’s Drinking Water Supply under Threat (The Netherlands)
- Creating Enforceable Permit Programs and Requirements: Discussion focus on water pollution and contamination of drinking water supplies
- The Pollution of Surface Waters Act in the Netherlands: A Story of Successful Enforcement
- Protecting Drinking Water Quality Through the Clean Water Act and the Safe Drinking Water Act
- Case Study On Environmental Law Enforcement And Compliance In Costa Rica: Water Pollution With Toxic Substances
Key Activities & Publications
L’Agence Nationale de la Protection de l’Environnement en Tunisie a depuis 2004[...]
The Capacity Building Program on Water Governance seeks to strengthen capacity for[...]